I think I got welfare shamed and I'm not on welfare

Sketch a day - day 7
I went to the grocery store for two reasons... lunch, and cash-back. Cash back is awesome because I don't have to pay atm fees to spend my money, and since I had to pay the dude repairing the woodpecker holes in my house today, I needed cash. (I probably won't use him again, with one of the reasons being he doesn't take checks.  Who wants to go to get cash two days in a row to get enough money to pay someone?)

Anyway, I said to the cashier I need $100 cash back, is that possible? She replied, the max is $50, but I can split your bill. Cool.. Cool.  So she rang up my bill with a few things left on the conveyor belt.

As I went fishing in my wallet for my debit card she got annoyed.  I was trying to find the right debit card, for our joint account, since I didn't want to take it from my main shopping account because most of the money was for house repairs.

She replied in an annoyed voice... "that's a lot of cards".  I apologized.  "They are all for different things", I said.  "Well, I don't know what anyone needs all those cards for".  I was so caught off guard, I started explaining. "Well, I have joint cards for each kids account, they are in college.  And I have a joint account with my husband. And I have the card I use for most purchases, groceries and stuff, and then I have one credit card", I explained, feeling flushed.... as if it were any of her business.  "Well" she huffed", I only have one card, I don't have enough money for all those cards, but a little is better than nothing!" I started to explain again, and then realized how ridiculous I was being, I paid for my second half of the purchase, got my other $50 cash back and left.

It is nobody's business how many debit or credit cards I have. It is nobody's business how much money I do or don't have. And I should not feel guilty or ashamed for what I have or how it works for me.  It is my money and it is my system. It works for me.

This isn't the first time I have felt attacked by this particular cashier.  Over the summer I purchased pre-cubed watermelon.  Sure I could have purchased a whole watermelon, but I didn't want to deal with it.  She chastised me for not making the more economical choice and that the pre-cut watermelon was a lot more per pound.  I felt so convicted (bad) that I purchased a whole watermelon the next time... and guess what, most of it was yucky... unevenly ripe.  I would have gotten a much better bargain buying it pre-cut, seeing how much I tossed out.

I will be avoiding this cashier from now on.

Before her, and when my kids were younger, there was another such cashier.  She would tell me that I needed to get a job every time I saw her.  "The manager is here, she would say, you'd be a great cashier".  "I'm good", I would reply, but she would keep insisting. It bothered her that I clearly did not have a job and was spending what she though was a lot of money at the grocery store.  Surely, I needed a job, right?

So what gives?

I am being made to feel just like those people others shame for using a EBT (food stamps) card for buying what they think is excessive, only I don't use any of those cards, and my husband makes good money which I manage well, and I can afford to feed us well, most of the time.  Still, I am being treated the exact same as those people.

Maybe it is because I don't dress up and look rich.  I look like the average joe-schmo always dressing casually, and when I go to the grocery, I often dress like I'm homeless! (I don't really know how a homeless person dresses)  If I am cooking or cleaning, or just took a nap, I just roll out in whatever I had on.. so is that why they are judging me?  Do they think that there is no way I am getting this money I am spending honestly?  Do they think they need to remind me to be more careful with money, because they don't think I have any or should have any?

I don't know, but it befuddles me.

I'm going to have to be rude and put a stop to it.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Excuse my rudeness, but WHAT THE FUCK??????????

I promise you, I would report any cashier who dared to comment like that on my credit cards or ANYTHING of a personal nature.

That is utterly unprofessional, unkind, and completely inappropriate.

Karen said...

No not accept that person's ridiculously uninformed judgements!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care what she thinks.

You are allowed to have anything you like in your wallet.
Stand Tall!

Ahermitt said...

I kinda feel that way NOW Karen, but I have a slow burn... don't realize I'm supposed to be upset until after the fact so a lot of people get away with a lot of stuff because I get home and realize I should have responded differently!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

I find it more than a little ironic that she's making little digs about your not having a job when she is doing a poor job on her own.I have no doubt there are welfare frauds and cheats out there. She's absolutely right that people who are taking welfare who can work, should. You know. They should hold down a JOB.

Her JOB is to be polite and serve the customer. If she wants to go into welfare fraud investigation she'll 1. have to change jobs; and 2. leave some of those prejudices behind. (They'll actually impede her from doing good work.)

A polite chat with the manager is in order. Explain that you wanted to approach the situation calmly after you have cooled down. In the long run, you are not being rude but more than amply polite.

Only think how ashamed this cashier will be when she discovers what she has done. I know if I had a bias of mine called out (even very politely) I would be crying for days. I would be so very sorry. It is evil, it is, but I think we all have biases. I do not excuse it.

She needs to work on hers, so I reason it's a good cry that she needs to have. You deserve an apology, but honestly I'd settle for the next person - maybe even that person who is between jobs and struggling - being treated with more respect and compassion.

And I don't mean this in a nasty way, but you would think a cashier earning $7-something an hour would see how easy it is to fall behind on bills and need help.

C T said...

There was one store I--also not a snappy dresser--went to with my little kiddies where they seemed to always be waiting for me to pull out my WIC checks...except I didn't have any. We qualify due to being a large family, but I don't want to apply for them because we don't really need them. When a cashier asked specifically for WIC checks once, I just smiled and passed it off. Confrontation at a checkstand is no fun. You just want to get through and home most of the time and getting into a conversation about impoliteness and stupid assumptions just doesn't appeal. I second the suggestion to tell the manager afterwards.

12 grade year of homeschooling, Finishing Strong

We are almost done with my college prep series. There will still be a video on completing the transcript.    Stay tuned... meanwhile, ...